Frank and Jane Clement Brick Museum - Table of Contents
Buffalo Area Brickyards
|Acme Shale Brick Co.||1919||1970||Buffalo; Brickyard on Pleasant Ave in Hamburg|
|Adams Brick & Terra Cotta Co.||1895||Buffalo|
|Balcom, Lawrence||LB Co|
|Balcom, P. A. (Philo)||1864||1874||Main and Ferry, Buffalo|
|Bender, Henry (South Bflo Brick Co, Indian Church & Mineral Springs||1889?||1921||Buffalo||BENDER|
|Bentz (sic?), W. & Bros.
Betz, Henry 1857
|Betz (sic?), W. & Bros.||1899||Buffalo||BETZ (sic?)|
|Berrick, Charles & Sons||1895||Buffalo|
|Berrick, Charles (Sons of)||1900||1905||1151 Main, Buffalo||CB&S|
|Betz, W. & Bros.||1895||1900||Buffalo|
|Black Rock Sewer Pipe Co.||1895||Buffalo|
|Black, John H.||1896||1957||Buffalo|
|Brush, Alexander||1874||Swan and Mohawk, Buffalo
1879 at North & Swan
|Brush Bros. (William H. & S. C.)||1864||1908||Clinton near Raze, Buffalo||BB|
|Brush, Milton (listed in 1877 City Directory; at some point partner in Brush Bros.)||1899||229 South Division, Buffalo|
|Brush, William C. (died Oct 1907; 3 sons took over brickyard)||1864||1874||Buffalo|
|Brush, William H.||1874||1907||Buffalo|
|Brush & Schmidt||1899||Jewettville||B&S
S inside horseshoe shape
|Buffalo Brick Corp.||1959||Buffalo||BUFFALO|
|Buffalo Clay Products Co. (Builders Supply Co.)||1917|
|Buffalo Fire Brick Works (Hall & Sons)||1874||Buffalo|
|Buffalo Pressed Brick (listed in 1858 City Directory)||Buffalo|
|Builders Supply Co.||1912||1914||Buffalo|
|Butler, George W. Co (listed in 1923 City Directory)||408 Pearl, Buffalo|
|Dickey, Benjamin N. (listed in 1858 City Directory)||c. 1865||Canal St., Buffalo|
|Clinton St, Buffalo||D|
|Dietschler, Henry & Son||1895||Buffalo|
|Dietschler, Henry (Sons of)||1905||Buffalo|
|Ellicott Brick Corp.||1905||Buffalo|
|Haake, Fred W.||1895||1898||Buffalo|
|Haake, Fred W. & Son||1900? 1899?||Buffalo|
|Hall & Sons Inc.||1895? 1899?||1930||Tonawanda and Niagara Sts., Buffalo (Today: Fedders CVo.)||HALL & SONS NO. 1 BUFFALO N Y
HALL & SONS No. 1 inside a BISON OUTLINE
|Hall Fire Brick Co.||1935||Buffalo||HALL|
|Hebert & Schusler||1895||Buffalo|
|Kirkover, Louis||1862||1897||420 Seneca, Buffalo|
|Lockport Brick Co.
Mosley, Charles Ferry & Prospect 1863
|Niagara Brick Press (listed in 1877 City Directory)||Buffalo|
|North Collins Shale Brick Co.||Buffalo|
|Schmidt, George W.||1887||1918||Buffalo|
|Schusler Brick Co.||1906||1919||Buffalo|
|Schusler, Edward & Co.||1895||1905||Buffalo|
|Star Brick Co.||Plant on Pavement Road, Lancaster||star shape|
|Tyrrell & Matthews||1868||Buffalo
Plant at 744 Ferry St
The sources for the compiled chart above are the following:
Buffalo City Directory Information
The information below is an excerpt from "Up Against the Wall: An Archeological Field Guide to Bricks in Western New York," by Michael N. Vogel, 1995
In Buffalo, in the 1890s, according to former International Brick Collectors Association president Frank J. Clement of Orchard Park, there were 35 to 40 brickyards in the farms that made their own bricks."
City directories trace the prevalence of the industry:
- The 1835 directory lists 22 persons with the occupation of "brickmaker," one "lime burner," and three brickyard laborers, along with one apparently itinerant "americanstone or patent cement cistern builder "boarding at the City Hotel.
- By 1858 the only partly-representative commercial listings in the City Directories include three major brickmaking firms, P A Balcom at Main and Ferry, Brush Brothers on Clinton near Raze, and Benjamin N. Dickey, on Canal.
- In 1866 Dickey is gone but the other two firms have been joined by Lewis Kirkover, 437 Seneca.
- In 1877 P. A. Balcom and Milton Brush, 229 S. Division, still hang on with new competition from Hall & Sons and Niagara Brick Press,
- By 1886 the list has grown to 11 firms including Brush Brothers, Buffalo Pressed Brick, firms headed by a "Louis" Kirkover and August Kirkhover, and Hall & Sons (later Buffalo Fire Brick Works) The preponderance of surnames are Germanic.
- By 1923 the Buffalo list had dropped to two firms, Charles Berrick's Sons Co at 1151
Main and George W. Butler Co. at 408 Pearl, and today the industry is represented onin,by agents (although International Chimney Co. of WilliamsNille still o%%ms a stibsidiarnbrickyard in Pennysylvania). "Vihat actually put the yards out of business x%as coiicretcand asphalt," Frank- Clement noted. 36
Two major names in early years were John Black and William Brush, once co-owners of a brickworks. Black apparently bought out Brush, who went on to form Brush Brothers with his brother Alexander, who was a three-term mayor of Btiffato. The Brush brickyards donated bricks to Father Baker, for construction of his Lackawanna complex.
A great quantity of the city's bricks were made in outlying areas as well.
- Jewettville became a brick center, with the Jewettville Brickyard of the John H. Black Co. (also known as the Jewettville Brick Co.), the Ellicott Brickyard (later Empire Clay Products Co. Inc.) and the Loveland Brickyard.
- The Town of Aurora had many brickyards, because of favorable soil conditions; included were Hambleton's Brick Yard, Mosher's Brickyard, brickmaking on the Adams family farm, three circa-1840 brick-yards near theAurora-Orchard Park town line on Route 249, and paving brick works for Smith and Brush.
- There were also yards in North Collins and Angola.