Stained Glass - Table of Contents

Henry Wynd Young Windows in Western New York

St. Paul Episcopal Cathedral: The Feeding of Five Thousand

St. Paul Episcopal Cathedral: St. Paul Before Agrippa

Henry Wynd Young (1874-1923), was born in Bannockburn, Scotland.

Living in Aberdeen, Scotland, by 1881, he attended evening classes at Gray's School of Art 1889-c. 1896.

In 1907, Young, his wife, Bessie, and year-old son, Henry Walter came to New York. A second son, Alexander, was born in New York City in 1908. Young and his family settled in Brooklyn where he established his own business.

Bonawit & Young

Young formed a partnership with G. Owen Bonawit (1890-1971) in 1915. Fellow Scot J. Gordon Guthrie (1874-1961) joined the firm that year and subsequently they were joined by Irish glazer Ernest Lakeman (1882-1948). The Bonawit & Young partnership dissolved in 1918.

Henry Wynd Young Studio

Young moved his residence to Hamilton, New York; he died there on December 25, 1923.

Guthrie stayed on until 1925 and Lakeman operated Young's glass shop for several years thereafter. According to the 1930 census, Bessie T. Young was president of the firm and Henry Walter Young worked there as a stained glass painter.

Source: Rona Moody where there is much more information

Windows in Buffalo, NY:

Photos and their arrangement © 2009 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.