Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
One of the wedge-shaped blocks forming the curved parts of an arch or vault
The central voussoir, which sets the arch, is the keystone
From Latin "volvare," meaning to turn or roll
Found in Georgian Revival, Renaissance Revival, Romanesque Revival styles
Examples from Buffalo architecture:
- Illustration above: Webb Building
- St. John's United Evangelical Church / St. John's United Church of Christ
- Connecticut Street Armory
- Lafayette High School
- St. Teresa RC Church
- Bemis House
- Hayes Hall
- St. John the Baptist Church
- 239 Van Rensselaer St.
- 916 Delaware Ave.
- 97 Linwood Ave.
- Church of the Good Shepherd