First Presbyterian - Table of Contents

Four Nave Windows by Payne-Spiers Studio
First Presbyterian Church, Lockport
21 Church Street, Lockport. NY 14094
First Presbyterian Church Official Website

There are six windows in the church that are original Tiffany Studios windows - plus six which were made using Tiffany glass.  The latter windows were made by the Payne-Spiers Studios of Paterson, New Jersey, in the late 1940's and early 1950's through the efforts of Mr. Thomas Hildreth who was able to have enough of the original Tiffany Glass set aside for the church to be used when the opportunity for new window construction arose.

The ten windows in the nave are each comprised of two main panels separated by a smaller opalescent panel hidden from view by the balcony. The upper panels depict two angels; the lower panels depict scenes from the New Testament with the exception of the Old Testament Isaiah window.

Four Windows Shown Below:

Designers and fabricators:

Payne-Spiers Studios using Tiffany Studios glass purchased after Tiffany Studios dissolved.

Years dedicated:

Late 1940's and early 1950's
Isaiah - 1953


Opalescent / Art Nouveau

Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Watercolor for Two Angels Holding Book and Keys


Upper panel - Two Angels Holding Book and Keys


Watercolor for Isaiah panel

Lower panel - Isaiah



Upper panel - Angels With Organ and Harp

Lower panel - The Nativity

Upper panel - Angels Playing Lute and Cymbals

Lower panel - Christ Calling the Fishermen

Upper panel - Standing and Kneeling Angels

Lower panel - Christ With Children

Special thanks to Pastor Reverend W. James Hardy for his cooperation and to Elder Albert Grimm for his assistance

Photos and their arrangement 2009 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.