Exhibit - Table of Contents.......................... Esenwein & Johnson - Table of Contents

Early Buildings
Images from
Art Nouveau and Other Expressions: Rediscovering the Architecture of Esenwein and Johnson

A 2005 Exhibit at the
Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society Museum

Curated by Martin Wachadlo

TEXT Beneath Illustrations



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Prior to Partnership

Prior to Partnership

Prior to Partnership

Prior to Partnership

August C. Esenwein (1856-1926)

Buffalo Music Hall. August C. Esenwein

German-American Brewery and Hall August C. Esenwein

Alfred Schoellkopf Residence.
August C. Esenwein


James A. Johnson (1865-1939)

Colonial Apartments
Broughton & Johnson

Harlow C. Curtiss Residence.
Marling & Johnson


 

 

 

 

Esenwein & Johnson

Esenwein & Johnson

Esenwein & Johnson

Esenwein & Johnson

Lafayette High School

Lafayette High School

Lafayette High School

Lafayette High School

Lafayette High School

Hotel Touraine

Hotel Touraine

Hotel Touraine

Hotel Touraine

Hotel Touraine

Hotel Touraine

Service Building, Pan-American Exposition
HIGHER RESOLUTION

Temple of Music, Pan-American Exposition
HIGHER RESOLUTION

Interior- Temple of Music

Temple of Music

Temple of Music

Private dining room, apartment house for Messrs. Mead and Co., Delaware and Johnson Park

Mayer & Weill Building

Charles Mosier Residence (1905)
96 Bidwell parkway
ca. 1908

Charles Mosier Residence (1905)
96 Bidwell parkway
ca. 1908



Detail from previous photo

Harlow C. Curtiss Residence



August C. Esenwein (1856-1926)

August C. Esenwein , a German immigrant, trained in architecture at the Stuttgart Technical School. He settled in Buffalo in 1880 and opened his own office two years later, after winning the design competition for the original Buffalo Music Hall.

Esenwein practiced independently for the next fifteen years. he worked in a variety of styles, including Queen Anne, Richardsonian Romanesque, Italian Renaissance, and Colonial Revival.

James A. Johnson (1865-1939)

James A. Johnson was a native of central New York. He trained in several architectural offices including those of McKim, Mead & White and Richard Morris Hunt. Johnson practiced with James Marling (1892-1895) and William H. Boughton (1895-1897) working primarily in the Colonial Revival style.

Partnership

Esenwein and Johnson formed their partnership in 1897. The firm was immensely successful. It produced over 1,000 designs, ranging from mantels to multi-building complexes, including such local icons as the Elephant House (1912) at the Buffalo Zoo, the Colonel Ward Pumping Station (1912-1916) and the Buffalo Museum of Science (1925-1929).


Photos and their arrangement 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.