Patron saint of music, is the subject of this window. Made in 1887 by Tiffany Studios St. Cecelia holds a row of organ pipes. St. Augustine and Mary Magdalene are to her left. On the right is Saint John the Apostle in gold and blue, and Saint Paul leaning on a sword.
Calista F Phelps commissioned the window in honor of her husband Orson, who died in 1870. Orson Phelps was an engineer who assisted with the Welland Canal and the Erie Canal locks at Lockport. The family of Livingston Fryer made restoration of the window possible in 1968.
Iconography in Art and Architecture: St. Cecelia
Iconography in Art and Architecture: St. John
Iconography in Art and Architecture: St. Paul
Iconography in Art and Architecture: Resurrection (Mary Magdalene)
This is the earliest Tiffany window in Trinity, perhaps in Buffalo (1887).
LARGER SIZE beneath top photo
Tiffany takes the scene from a 16th century Raphael painting, The Ecstasy of St. Cecelia Illustration at bottom of this page.