Charles F. Sternberg House /

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
414 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY

Visitor, Reservations Information

In February 2007, the hotel was named among the top 5 hotels in America by the Zagat survey.

Erected:

1869-1870

Architect:

George M. Allison

Style:

Second Empire (1860-1880)

Original owner:

Industrialist Charles F. Sternberg

Second owner:

Civil War veteran Colonel John Condit Smith

1880s owner:

Samuel Curtis Trubee

Former name:

Victor Hugo Wine Cellar Restaurant

Present name:

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, a 28-room luxury hotel
  See details in text below the photos



See also History and Exterior Photos

TEXT

Click on photos to enlarge

First floor.
Front entrance hall

First floor front entrance hall.
Paired entry doors, with glass in top half

First floor entry hall.
Inlaid hand-milled black walnut double-pedimented door surround

First floor reception room.

First floor reception room.
Hand-milled black walnut mantel

First floor reception room.
Pocket doors

First floor reception room.
Three-sided bay

First floor reception room.
Detailed plaster ceiling relief on 18-foot ceilings

First floor games room.

First floor games room.

First floor banquet room.

First floor banquet room.

  • Hand-milled white oak wainscoting
  • Square column with capital

First floor banquet room

First floor banquet room.

First floor banquet room.
Corinthian engaged columns

The interior of the building has the following features:

Second Empire (1860-1880) Interior Features of This Building:


Special thanks to The Mansion on Delaware Avenue owner, Dennis Murphy, and his staff for their cooperation.

Sources:


Photos and their arrangement © 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.