Clement House/Red Cross - Table of Contents

Facade - Clement House/Red Cross Building
786 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, N.Y.

Completed:

1914.
Erected at a cost of $300,000, the home was the scene of many important social functions and the gathering place of leaders in the city's life for 30 years.

Architects:

Green & Wicks

Owners:

Carolyn Jewett Tripp

Her most notable contribution to the community was the gift of her palatial home at at 786 Delaware Avenue to the American Red Cross in June 1941. She died in 1943.

Style:

English Tudor Revival (English medieval manor).

Location:

Delaware Preservation District

Tour of Millionaires' Row


Click on photos for larger size -- and additional information

2 1/2 story Tudor Revival house


Onondaga limestone


Two-story bay with parapet

Parapet ... Leaded glass

Carved rosettes in the middle of quatrefoils in the parapet.


Cinquefoil arches in parapet panels

Two pairs of chimneys with caps

Tudor Revival arches in balustrade

 

 

Original working drawing from E.B. Green's office

Stereoptican slide showing the construction of 786

 

 


Photo taken 2015


Photos and their arrangement 2004, 2015 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.