Felician Sisters Convent and Chapel - Table of Contents

Sanctuary - Felician Sisters Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent Chapel
600 Doat Street, Cheektowaga, NY
Felician Sisters Immaculate Heart of Mary Province - Official Home Page

The chapel was modeled after an earlier convent chapel built by the Felician Sisters in Chicago. Buffalo architect Joseph Fronczak adapted the Chicago plans and the building was completed by 1929. The red brick Gothic Revival style building, which has a floor plan shaped like an "E," houses a carved wood altar shaped like a monstrance.



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

Gothic Revival style

Ribbed ceiling

Crocketed pinnacles topped by finials

 

 

Trefoil and quatrefoil tracery

 

 

 

 

 

Parquet floor



Carved plaster engaged capital

 




Special thanks to Provincial Minister Sister Mary Lorianne Tylczynski, CSSF, and Sister Sharon Marie Dombrowski, CSSF, for their cooperation,
and to
Trautman Associates architect Timothy Rider for his assistance in May 2009

Photos and their arrangement 2009 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.