Falconwood Club House - 1 of 9
pen and ink drawings by Albion Ende, artist and reporter for the Island Dispatch.
The prints are on display and available for purchase at deSignet
International. The set of nine prints sell for $75.00
Declared a township in 1852, Grand Island in the half century that followed,
changed from mainly farming country to an era that included exclusive clubs and elaborate
Lewis F. Allen's Falconwood
Club opened as a resort on June 19, 1858. Its design was of the "villa"
order or what would later be known as "Queen
Anne." Located on 45 acres overlooking the West River on Grand Island,
its twelve foot verandahs ran the full length of the site that boasted an elegant
bar, bowling alley, assembly hall and a number of guest rooms. Its wharf projected
110 feet into the river.
Lewis F. Allen, who owned a large farm
at the head of the island, decided to build a summer resort on the south west side
which he called Falconwood. He gave this name to the place because of the number
of hawks and eagles who made the large trees near the river bank their home.
The first guests arrived at Falconwood on the steamer George O. Vail on Saturday
afternoon, June 19, 1859. Falconwood later became a popular resort, open to the public.
The steamers Cygnet and Arrow transported the vacation seekers the
The Club House was designed by Joseph
Lyman Silsbee; the club house burned down in 1882.