Old Editions - Table of Contents

Exterior - Old Editions Book Shop and Café
74-76 East Huron Street, Buffalo, NY
One of the country's largest open antiquarian bookstores. Antique artwork scattered throughout.
Official Site

74 East Huron Building - Erected:

C. 1897

76 East Huron Building - Erected:

C. 1950

74 East Huron 1926 addition:

Rear courtyard demolished and back of building extended; freight elevator installed

Previous owner, early 1940s to 1995:

St. Vincent De Paul's store

Current owner, since 1995:

Ronald Cozzi, proprietor of Old Editions Book Shop and Café

1995 Renovation architect:

Karl Frizlen

74 East Huron was originally built with 25-foot-long 4" X 12" beams spaced 12" apart between floors.

76 East Huron was purchased by St. Vincent De Paul's, a tenant since the early 1940s, and converted into a loading dock. The two buildings were then connected.

Click on illustrations for larger size

Watercolor painting of Old Editions by V. Roger Lalli. 76 East Huron to the left

Original first floor tenants of #76: police station.
Note brick
corbels near top of façade of 76 East Huron.

Original Buffalo-made 10' tall cast iron column. Originally, according to architect Karl Frizlen. there was a recessed corner entrance

Detail from previous photo - foliated capital

Cast iron column detail

Sandstone and brick

Brick corbels

East elevation

May have originally contained stained glass

Large rectangular opening may have originally been a stable entrance for horses. The original tenant on the first floor was a riding unit of the Buffalo Police

Tie rod plates. After a fire in the building caused water damage, tie rods were installed to pull the walls together.

Neighbor in background: Electric Tower

Photos and their arrangement © 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index....|.. E-Mail ...| ..