Central Presbyterian Church - Table of Contents

Central Presbyterian Church / Mount St. Joseph Academy
Church building - Exterior Photos

Architect:

Williams Lansing & Max G. Beierl

Erected:

1910

The original plan was in the shape of an "L" with two entrances.

The Main Street entrance was disposed of in 1921 when the church was enlarged by moving the wall out forty feet, converting the entrance into a memorial window. This engineering achievement by contractor Robert Williams was featured on Movietone newsreels throughout the country.

Style:

Early English Gothic style

Parkside Community:

In the early 1800's, the Parkside area was known as Flint Hill. It was the site of an army encampment in 1812 and hundreds of soldiers are buried in the present meadow of Delaware Park.

When the City of Buffalo was incorporated in 1835, this area north of the former village became known as Buffalo Plains. Main Street was paved in the 1830's and a toll gate was erected at what is now Main and Kensington Avenue. The land along Main Street in Parkside was farmed by Washington Adams Russell and by Daniel Chapin. These working farms were succeeded by the estates of wealthy landowners such as Elam R. Jewett who purchased "Willowlawn" (across the street from Central Presbyterian on Jewett Avenue) in 1864.
   


Click on photos for larger size

 

 

 

Facade- Main Street

Front entrance

 

 

 

Jewett Pkwy / Main St.

Jewett Pkwy
south entrance



Jewett Pkwy

Jewett Pkwy

Battlement

Central Presbyterian Church
Table of Contents



Jewett Pkwy
left side entrance

Rear





Special thanks to Rev. Stephen Phelps and Jack Anthony for their assistance..

Photos and their arrangement 2001 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.