Saint Vincent's Female Orphan Asylum - Table of Contents
St. Vincent's Female Orphan Asylum
1313 Main St. at Riley, Buffalo, NY
Color Photos Taken on Dec. 22, 2001
On this page, below:
Green & Wicks Orphanage
|1860 Robinson-Squier House
1863 Squier House - Italianate style
Pre-1935 photo - The Dietel gym is not yet built.
Photos below illustrate beginning of demolition by owner Cash Cunniungham. Court order halted demolition. Cunningham reverses course and rehabitates the Squier House. See juxtaposition of 2001 and 2004 rehabbed photos.
1313 Main St. at Riley
Medina sandstone sidewalk and steps
Cornice, with modillions and dentils below
Second-story cast iron window hood viewed from the ground.
The cast iron ornamentation on the Squier House is intact. It was probably manufactured by Buffalo's own Eagle Iron Works. The black and white illustration below is from the 1859 Eagle iron Works catalogue, p. 12.
Smaller Italiante style wing with arcaded portico
North wing addition.
Photo taken Dec. 22, 2001. Notice the hole in wall in the "Connector" building on the right.
|1899 Green & Wicks Orphanage
1898/99 addition, 1138 North Ellicott, by architects E. B. Green and Sydney Wicks
Niches for saint statues(?)
1935 Dietel Gymnasium