The J. N. Adam & Co. / AM&A's Department Store - Table of Contents

The J. N. Adam & Co. /
Adam, Meldrum & Anderson department store (AM&A's)
385 Main Street, Buffalo, NY

AM&A's partners:
Robert B. Adam
Herbert A. Meldrum
Original partner: Alexander Whiting
Later partner: William Anderson
1886 distinction:
First businessinthe city to use electric lights
1947 distinction:
First department store to open a branch, in the University Plaza on Main Street, the first suburban shopping center
Original location:
Across the street on Main Street, now the site of the main Main Place
1960 location:
385 Main Street


"Bond" and buildings to the right were demolished for the M&T Building
AM&A's is to the left of Bond.




Reprint
Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land

By Richard C. Brown and Bob Watson.
USA: Windsor Publications, 1981, p. 252



Page by Chuck LaChiusa
..| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.