Patrick E. Stanton House - Table of Contents

Patrick E. Stanton House / Porter Avenue Pied à Terre
361 Porter Avenue, Buffalo, New York

Received the Preservation Coalition of Erie County "2000 Restoration Award"

TEXT Beneath Illustrations


Click on photos for larger size

Before the restoration
in July of 1998

Before the restoration
in July of 1998

Before the restoration
in July of 1998

Before the restoration
in July of 1998

All remaining photos:
the restored exterior
as of the end of 1999.

Gable roof.
Indian red trim is close
to the original color

Note dormer

Note large wood bracket and
dentils

East side of house.
Clapboard on first
floor. Shingles on
second floor and attic.
Gable roof.

Large projecting
dormer, one on each side.
Scalloped shingles
on top.

Corbeled hexagonal turret with bell roof.

Corner turret with bell
roof

Replicated columns

Original capitals

Foundation of
Onondaga limestone

Battered pier

(East) side entrance:
pedimented roof over
Doric style pillars

 

2005 photo

2005 photo

2005 photo

 


Owners

Built in 1888, for prominent real estate broker Patrick E. Stanton, his wife Catherine (nee Doran) and their large family. Source: "Our Police & Our City, "published 1893, pp. 787-788 and Buffalo Express Extra Sept., 1988.

In 1914, Dr. Thomas J. Walsh, his wife Olive (nee Argus) and their only child Marion became the second family to live in the home. Dr. Walsh, was a nationally known heart specialist who practiced medicine with his sister, Anna P. Walsh at offices in the home. He died in 1950 (Obituary in May 19, 1950 Buffalo Evening News), and his widow lived there until her death in 1971. During that time, the doctorÝs offices were converted to an 800 square-foot, 1-bedroom apartment. The following owner utilized the space the same way.

The current owner took stewardship in 1991.

 Since 2003, a portion of the home has been operated as Porter Avenue Pied à Terre -- a furnished, private-entrance apartment for short-term rental -- somewhat like a B&B.

Style

Queen Anne

Architectural history

Originally built with a straight-front porch, the octagonal porch at the Cobb Alley side (right side of house) was added within a decade of the original.

In 1992, layers of roofing material covering the original cedar were torn off and replaced with architectural-grade shingle, having the appearance of weathered cedar.

The most significant exterior improvements have occurred since July of 1998, when disassembling and tearout of the porch began. Columns, newels, rails and balusters were saved for reference. Carved capitals were the only torn-out element set aside to be stripped, repaired and reused ˝ all others were recreated to match the salvaged profiles. Every element of the porch, except the columns and salvaged capitals, were rebuilt.

In August 1999, as the porch neared completion, the restoration paint job began. The owner had settled on olive greens, with appropriate secondary and accent colors as offered in "Victorian Exterior Decoration," by Roger W. Moss and Gail Caskey Winkler. Indian Red was an important factor in her selection and placement, since there had been several indications that it was part of the original paint scheme.



Photos and their arrangement © 2000
Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.