Electric Tower - Table of Contents

Historic Exterior Photographs on Display on the First Floor of the Electric Tower
535 Washington St., Buffalo NY


1900's - Hydroelectric power harnessed from Niagara Falls was used to dramatic effect in the Pan-=American Exposition in Buffalo in 1901.

1910's - Buffalo General Electric Company builds headquarters in Buffalo in 1912

1920's - The Roaring 20's brought two additions to the building, one in 1924 and one in 1926. The additions provided expansion of office space, as well as display areas for the latest in appliances and light fixtures.

1930's - Upon completion of its new Art Deco headquarters in Syracuse, Niagara Hudson renovates parts of the Electric Tower in Art Deco style and moves the entrance to Washington Street

Click on illustrations for larger size - and additional information

Electric Tower, 1901 Pan-American Exposition

Electric Tower, 1901 Pan-American Exposition

Architect's drawing (Esenwein & Johnson) for the octagonal Electric Tower, 535 Washington St.

Detail from previous photo

C. 1911

C. 1912?

Pre 1927

Detail from previous photo



Detail from previous photo

2nd detail

3rd detail from previous 1932 photo

Post 1932 ?

Special thanks to Iskalo Development Corp. President Paul Iskalo and Director of Leasing Eric M. Eisenried in 2007 for their cooperation
Photos and their arrangement © 2007 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.