Illustrated Architecture Dictionary............... Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary.
Molding / Moulding
1 - A decorative strip used for ornamentation or finishing
2 - A decorative contour, in stone or wood
A plane or curved, narrow surface, either sunk or projecting, used for decoration, often in groups, by means of the lights and shades upon the surface
Shaped edge of a lid, cornice, etc.
Types: Acanthus ....... Bead-and-reel.. ...Beaded rope.... ..Cavetto molding ........ Cornice..... Cove ....Crown ....Dentil.... Dog-tooth.......Egg-and-acanthus. Egg-and-dart..... Godroon/Gadroon .... Hoodmold .... Jamb . ...Label molding ..... Ovolo..... Rope ......Running molding..... Scoop pattern ... Stacked coin .....Torus ..... Window head........
Picture rail: Functional molding installed 7-9 feet above the floor from which framed pictures and paintings are hung using picture wire and picture rail hooks.
Roll molding: Convex, approximating three-quarters of a circle.
Sawtooth / Dog tooth: A horizontal band of bricks, or course, that is laid diagonally on edge; each brick is set so that one corner projects from the face of the wall, often at an angle of 45 degrees; also called a dog’s-tooth course.
Continuous strip of wood, of rounded or more complex profile, used as a decorative relief band
Finger molding: An incised, concave continuous molding, cut into the face of a a chair or sofa frame. Used especially in the Louis XV (Rococo) substyle
Arched molding: A simple, undecorated half-round convex molding
The 17th Century Baroque period featured the use of heavy moldings
Examples from Buffalo:
- Illustration above: Furniture: Reproduction Hepplewhite side chair - Kittinger Furniture Co.
- Sawtooth - 1 North Pearl Street
- Sawtooth - Frank Hamlin House
- Roll molding - Good Mausoleum
- Fireplace - Edward Harvey House. 91 Jewett Parkway
- Furniture: shield-back armchair - Edward Harvey House. 91 Jewett Parkway
- Furniture: pier glass cornice - Horace Reed House
- Furniture: Reproduction Queen Anne tea table gallery - Kittinger Furniture Co.
- Furniture: Reproduction Chippendale English tea table top - Kittinger Furniture Company
- Furniture: Finger molding on Renaissance Revival dresser - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Furniture: Finger molding on Sleepy Hollow Armchair - Ansley Wilcox Mansion / Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site
- Furniture: Finger molding on Renaissance Revival dresser - Private collection
- Furniture: Arched molding on Renaissance Revival dresser - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Furniture: Arched molding on library table - Old Editions Book Shop and Café
- Furniture: Queen Anne highboy overhanging cornice - Private collection, Buffalo, NY
- Roman Triumphal Arch, Orange, Provence, France
- Furniture: corner chair - Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- Furniture: Chippendale lowboy - Fairmount Park Woodford House, Philadelphia
- Furniture: flat top secretary - George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Va.
- Furniture: overhanging molding at top - Dressing Table - Dewitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, Williamsburg, VA
- Furniture: bergere (shepherdess) chair - Hofmobileliendepot Imperial Furniture Collection,Vienna, Austria