Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
...........................Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary



1. A secondary framing member to hold panes within a window, window wall, or glazed door

2. An intermediate vertical member that divides the panels of a door

Mullion: A vertical strip dividing the panes of a windows

Spiderweb muntins

Found in all western styles of architecture

Mullions and Muntins

When a very large glazed [glass] area was desired before the middle of the nineteenth century, such as in the large windows seen in Gothic churches or Elizabethan palaces, the openings necessarily required division into a framework of mullions and transoms, often of stone.

It was further necessary for each glazed panel, sash or casement to be further subdivided by muntins or lead cames because large panes of glass were reserved primarily for use as mirrors, being far too costly to use for glazing windows or doors.

...[mullion] is also confused with the "muntin" (or "glazing bar" in the UK) which is the precise word for the very small strips of wood or metal that divide a sash into smaller glass "panes" or "lights".

- Wikipedia: Mullion (Online Dec. 2012)


Wood strips that hold the panes of glass in a glazed door

Examples from Buffalo:

Photos and their arrangement © 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.