Hotel Touraine (1901-1902)
274 Delaware Avenue, southwest corner of Johnson Park

Photograph by Bob Hauser, ca. 1905

The Gothic was an alternative to ancient and Renaissance styles. Esenwein & Johnson embellished this steel-framed building with Gothic terra cotta details. Note the elaborate side canopy (now gone) and the pinnacles along the roof.

Originally designed as an apartment house, it opened as a hotel in 1902.

The Touraine was named for the French province that was home to many of the famous Loire valley chateaux. Esenwein & Johnson designed a four-story addition to this building in 1923-19124.