Providence Retreat

2157 Main Street, northeast corner of Kensington Avenue
ca. 1920
Esenwein & Johnson continued to product traditional buildings like this neoclassical structure at the same time they experimented with architecture not based on historical forms.

The Sisters of Charity built Providence Retreat as an asylum for the mentally ill; thus the bars on most of the windows. It later became Sisters Hospital. Most of this structure was demolished for new construction during the 1960s, but a portion still remains, buried deep inside the Sisters Hospital complex.