Metcalfe House - Table of Contents ................. McKim, Mead and White - LINKS
The Metcalfe House
125 North Street, Buffalo, NY
DEMOLISHED 1980's to provide a parking area adjacent to the Williams-Butler House
In 1882 McKim, Mead and White built a steeply gabled shingle style villa at 125 North Street for James F. Metcalfe and his widowed mother.
In 1980, the house was demolished and the land used as a parking lot for the commercial owners of the Williams-Butler mansion next door.
The interior of the rambling, informal Metcalfe house was the particular contribution of Stanford White, and his ornamental designs are preserved in the Penny Burchfield Museum at Buffalo State College where the original dining room and library have been reinstalled. The hallway and staircase are in the American wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New YC.
Stanford White's first contribution to Buffalo architecture was as associate architect to the great H.H. Richardson when he designed the Buffalo Psychiatric Center in 1870. White's second Buffalo work involved the James F. Metcalfe House, designed three years after White had joined McKim and Mead to form their avant-garde architectural firm that attracted the attention of the Metcalfes in Buffalo.
- Samuel G. White, The Houses of McKim, Mead and White, 1998
The front of the Metcalfe House before 1900 ... Image source: TBHM
The Metcalfe House as seen from Delaware Avenue (Williams-Butler mansion at right) ... Image source: Library of Congress
Side view of the Metcalfe House, seen from the Williams-Butler property ... Image source: Triumvirate McKim, Mead & White, Mosette Broderick
The house, viewed from North Street, 1979-80 ... Photo courtesy Michael and Jerome Puma
1979-80. ... Photo courtesy Michael and Jerome Puma
1980 ... Photo courtesy Michael and Jerome Puma