Temple Beth Zion, 805 Delaware Ave., plaque:
Founded in 1850, the congregation of Temple Beth Zion worshiped at different locations
in Buffalo before erecting a synagogue at 599 Delaware Avenue in 1890. Following
its destruction by fire in 1961, architect Max Abramovitz designed the current building.
The encircling walls represent the Ten Commandments and rise skyward. The main Sanctuary
includes stained glass windows, a Holy Ark, a Menorah and Ten Commandment tablets,
all by artist Ben Shahn.
The Cofeld Judaic Museum is housed within.
The Benjamin and Dr. Edgar R.
Cofeld Judaic Museum of Temple Beth Zion
Estella and Celia Karnofsky
The Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society