O'Connell at Vandalia Streets (SW)
Architects: Lansing & Beierl
Founded 25 March, 1897

As the population in the South Park/Louisiana Street area increased, the Catholic Diocese perceived a need for a third church presence there. Consequently, the Bishop, J. E. Quigley, designated that a new parish be formed within the boundaries of St. Stephen's on Elk Street and St. Brigid's on Fulton (destroyed).

Text continued below photo



Appointing Rev. R. C. O'Connell to organize it, in March, 1897, he purchased the site on which the church stands. The Bishop placed the cornerstone on 21 November. with the basement completed, the congregation began holding services there. On 21 March, 1900 Bishop Quigley formally dedicated the completed structure.

Constructed of Medina sandstone, the building is designed in the Gothic Style. The west tower of the building was never completed. The street on which the church fronts, originally called Sandusky street, was renamed O'Connell Avenue in honor of the founder and first pastor of the church.

Source: "Houses of Worship: A Guide to the Religious Architecture of Buffalo, New York," by James Napora. Master of Architecture Thesis. Found at Buffalo Central Library, p. 214