Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
Ankh: Ancient Egyptian hieroglyph - a cross shaped like a T with a loop at the top.
Celtic cross: A Latin cross with a circle superimposed on its center
☧ Chi-Rho: Formed by superimposing the first two letters in the Greek spelling of the word Christ: chi = ch and rho = r, in such a way to produce the monogram.
Although not technically a cross, the Chi Rho invokes the crucifixion of Jesus as well as symbolizing his status as the Christ.
Cross bottony: Cross having each arm terminating in three rounded lobes, forming a sort of trefoil. In heraldry, bottony refers to a symbol having a bud or button, or a kind of trefoil, at the end.
Crucifix: A cross with a representation of Jesus' body hanging from it. A Middle English term derived from the Latin, meaning "fastened to a cross."
Eastern Orthodox: A cross with three cross beams. The second cross-bar at top is for the INRI inscription; the bottom cross-bar is His footrest.
AKA the Byzantine, Greek Orthodox, Macedonian, Russian, Slavic, Slavonic or Ukraine Cross
Greek cross: A cross with four equal arms at right angles. See also: Iconography in Art and Architecture: Greek cross
Latin cross (Christian cross): A cross consisting of a vertical bar intersected by a shorter horizontal one above its midpoint. Believed to be of the style on which Jesus died. The cross as a Christian symbol or "seal" came into use at least as early as the second century
Rood: A large crucifix; esp. one set above the chancel entrance
Saltire (St. Andrew's cross): Lines run diagonally; a cross rotated by 45 degrees. Called St. Andrew's cross because Saint Andrew is believed to have suffered a martyr's death on such a cross,
Upsidedown Latin cross: associated with St. Peter
For other types of crosses, see Wikipedia: Cross and Old Cemeteries Society of Victoria: Cross Types and Fish Eaters
Furniture: X stretcher: Used to connect the four supports of a chair or piece of furniture, and to reinforce them.
Examples from Buffalo architecture:
- Illustration above: Greek cross, stained window - Delaware Avenue Baptist Church
- Greek cross: Holy Angels RC Church
- Latin cross: Annunciation RC Church On stained glass window
- Latin cross: Buffalo Religious Arts Center/St. Francis Xavier RC Church Angel on stained glass window
- Cross bottony: Annunciation RC Church Finial
- Cross bottony: Buffalo Religious Arts Center/St. Francis Xavier RC Church Angel on stained glass window
- Cross bottony: St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church/St. Luke's Mission of Mercy
- Cross bottony: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Cross bottony: St. John's United Evangelical Church / St. John's United Church of Christ
- Abstract crucifix: Trinity United Methodist Church, Grand Island
- Greek cross: Altar - Philae Temple of Isis, Egypt
- Eastern Orthodox: Church of the Intercession, Kizhi, Russia
- Eastern Orthodox: Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus, Kizhi, Russia
- Eastern Orthodox: St. Basil's Church. Moscow, Russia
- Cross bottony: Interior, Cemetery Chapel, Olympia, Greece
- Furniture: X stretcher