Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
A raised platform in a church, usually enclosed, where the minister or preacher stands to conduct the sermon.
Elaborate pulpits include on overhead canopy.
Etymology: Latin "ulpitum": scaffold, platform, stage
Examples from Buffalo architecture:
- Illustration above: St. Ann RC Church
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- St. Louis RC Church
- First Presbyterian Church
- Corpus Christi RC Church
- St. Francis Xavier RC Church - Buffalo Religious Art Center
- St. Mary of Sorrows RC Church - Buffalo Religious Art Center