Wilcox Mansion / T. R. Inaugural Site - Table of Contents

Ansley Wilcox Mansion / Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site

When the house was originally built, the library was two parlors. There is no evidence the two rooms were changed into one library room until 1885 when, shortly after the Wilcoxes moved in, the partition was removed and bookcases were added by Buffalo architect George Cary

The library has been completely restored and furnished according to c. 1901 photographs. The wall area and soffits are covered with a bordered paper in a representative pattern of the period manufactured by the Birge Wallpaper Company.

Some pieces are original to the room; some are modern reproductions based on the 1901 photographs taken shortly after the inauguration of Theodore Roosevelt.

Click on photos for larger size -- and more information

Wall removed in the late 1930s for use as a restaurant and reconstructed when the house became the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site.

Bust of E. G. Spaulding

Original one of a matched pair of brass gas fixtures with etched glass shades

Original Wilcox bronze table lamp

Detail - original lamp

Detail - original lamp

The large bay window that formed the backdrop for Roosevelt's inauguration was designed by Buffalo architect George Cary in 1892, completing the remodeling of the room.

Original Wilcox chair, but with new period-correct upholstery


The border wallpaper is a representative pattern of the period manufactured by the Birge Wallpaper Company


Bookcases are reproductions of the bookcases to the right of the mantelpiece

Original Wilcox kerosene lamp

Special thanks to Executive Director Molly Quackenbush and Curator Lenora Henson for their assistance

Photos and their arrangement © 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.