Public School No. 45
141 Hoyt Street, Buffalo, New York

Click on photos for larger size


Associate Buffalo Architects, Inc.

Date of Initial Construction


See also: Highlights of Buffalo's History, 1924

Historical and Architectural Importance

The building,, with alterations to its original windows and additions to the north elevation and southeast corner, no longer retains its original architectural integrity. The use of the Classical Revival style was characteristic of school buildings designed by Associated Buffalo Architects Inc.

The Association, a collective of local architects, was organized 'in 1920 with Charles S. Wood as President. Such prominent Buffalo architects as Edward B. Green, Duane Lyman, Frederick Backus and Max Beierl were members, assisting in the collaboration on each school building design. The Association contracted with the Board of Education for the design and supervision of school building construction. From 1921 to 1925 the Association constructed public schools no. 3, 11, 31, 45, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70 and 200.

Public School No. 45.was organized in 1889 with the construction of a brick two story Queen Anne style structure. The building accommodated 800 students and was opened to relieve pupil enrollment at public school nos. 18 and 19. The building housed twelve classrooms, two kindergartens, an art room, library and cafeteria.

An eight room addition was added in 1915. The present structure was added in 1924 and doubled the size of the school. The building has ten classrooms, a gymnasium and an auditorium that seats 650.

The1889 structure was demolished in 1968 for construction of the new building.

Interrelationship of Building and Surroundings

The school building is located on the east side of Hoyt Street between Auburn Avenue and Lafayette Avenue. The residential west side neighborhood is composed of early Twentieth century two-story houses on narrow lots. Lafayette High School is located across Lafayette Avenue to the northeast.

Other Notable Features of Building and Site

The school building is a three story, four bay, brick structure with Classical Revival style features. The irregular plan is surmounted by a flat roof. The asymmetrical east facade is divided horizontally by a stone string course at the first floor level, a stone band course at the second floor sill level and a simple stone entablature below the brick parapet. Two story brick pilaster strips with stone capitals flank second and third floor window bays. The structure has a low stone basement level with brick facing the principal elevations in a Flemish bond style. The second bay from the north end houses the double door entrance with three light transom enframed by stone architrave trim and surround. Over the entrance is a 6/6 light window with architrave trim. The window fenestration consists of half size two light windows (original windows removed) with stone sills. Stone lintels cap second floor windows, and diamond patterned brick work decorates the third floor spandrel area. Attached to the north elevation is a brick three story, seven bay, U-shaped addition constructed in 1969. The first floor has round arched brick openings. The second and third floors are enframed within a horizontal panel with asymmetrical placed patterned brick work panels decorating. The north facade's second and third floor projects beyond the first floor. Window fenestration consists of square two light windows.

Building Materials

Stone, Brick

Structural System

Steel Frame


Buffalo Times, March 23, 1902, January 9 , 1927
Courier Express, Nov 30, 1940
Buffalo News, Nov 18, 1938
"A Descriptive Study of a City Elementary School," by Frances M. Walsh, 1954

Page by Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.