White Brothers Livery & Boarding Stable
428-430 Jersey Street, Buffalo, NY
Photos taken on June 21, 2008 during emergency demolition




Richard Waite


Commercial Romanesque Revival

TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

2006 photo courtesy of Steel






Compound arch voussoirs










Side view from Richmond Avenue

Rear view from Little Summer Street



West Side Topics, Industrial Edition
No date but approximately 1906, p. 16, col. 2

One of the finest and best equipped livery stables in the city and one of the largest on the West Side is that of Messrs. White Brothers, located at No. 428-430 and 432 Jersey Street, near Richmond Avenue. This business was established originally in 1881 at No. 15 Thirteenth Street, and was removed to its present site in 1892.

It occupies a handsome three-story brick building, owned by the firm, and having a frontage of 50 feet and a depth of 140 feet. The drainage, lighting and ventilation is perfect
and every modern convenience is furnished for the accommodation of the fine horses kept.

A large assortment of stylish coaches, coupes, broughams, Victorias, everything in the line of light livery, is kept, for riding, weddings, parties, funerals, etc. Thirty fine horses are kept in livery. Special attention is given to boarding horses and 25 are cared for. The office is open day and night, is connected with phone and calls made at any hour are given prompt attention.

These stables are owned and conducted by Mr. Elijah White and the estate of the late Albert White, the management being in the hands of Mr. Albert W. White. Both of these gentlemen are substantial and influential businessmen of the West Side and closely identified with her best interests.

Special thanks to Cynthia Van Ness for her assistance in research

Photos and their arrangement 2008 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.