Buffalo Gas Company
(also known as Buffalo Gas Light Company and Illuminating Gas Company)

249 West Genesee St. , Buffalo, NY

Erected

1848
1859 existing facade by John H. Selkirk

Architect

John H. Selkirk

Style

Romanesque Revival

Status

National Register of Historic Places ....
Buffalo landmark

When built in 1848, the Buffalo Gas Light Company stood on both Lake Erie and the Erie Canal. From both, coal could be handily unloaded for the gas company, which then manufactured it into illuminating gas. The present distance of the building from the water reveals the great extent to which the waterfront has been filled in over the years.

Buffalo's fIrst architect, John H Selkirk, designed the arcaded Romanesque facade in 1859. The outstanding feature of the building, the 250-foot façade, is constructed of ashlar stone.

Romanesque characteristics of the structure are

Another of Selkirk's notable buildings in Buffalo is the Asbury Methodist Church at Delaware and Tupper.


Click on photos to enlarge

 

 

Center pavilion

Blind arcade

Corbel table along the crest of the wings. Note ashlar dressing with thin mortar joints

Corbel table

Romanesque blind arch

Buttress

Keystone

String course

 

 

 

AERIAL VIEW

AERIAL VIEW FROM SOUTHEAST

   

July 2005 Photo

July 2005 Photo

July 2005 Photo

July 2005 Photo

 

Note elevated NY Rte. 190 at left (over former Erie Canal bed

 

Artist's rendering of the proposed HealthNow New York Building

July 2005 Publicity

July 2005 Photo

 

 

See also: Historic photos of the Gas Co.

 

Artist's rendering of the proposed HealthNow New York Building

     


Photos and their arrangement © 2002 and 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.