Metropolitan Theatre / Academy of Music
Main & Seneca Streets, Buffalo New York

The Metropolitan Theatre, later in 1868 changed to the Academy of Music, joined the roster of the city's theatrical stages in 1852 and stood for 103 years. Ignoble as it was in its later years, in its heyday it played host to the dramatic superstars in the 19th century

The Academy of Music, as it was in 1868, for many years Buffalo's best theater. Prior to 1868, known as the Metropolitan; opened Oct. 15, 1852, on the site of the Farmer's Hotel.

Source: "The Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo," Severance, Frank H., ed. Buffalo Historical Society, Vol. 16, 1912

The Academy of Music as reconstructed, 1893. M. E. Beebe and Sons, Architects.

Source: Architectural Portfolio of Some of the Buildings Erected by M. E. Beebe & Son, Architects Buffalo, N. Y., pub. 1895

Page by Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| ..