Chapin Parkway - Houses
41 Chapin Parkway
History Beneath Illustrations
Photo taken June 2017
Colonial Revival style
Pedimented gable dormer with slate cladding ... Slate roof
Portico ... Tower of the Winds order: Roman (smooth shaft) style columns with a row of palm leaves and acanthus leaves below ... 8 over 16 lights with keystone in surround and stone sills ... Side lights ... Flemish bond brick pattern
Tower of the Winds order: Roman (smooth shaft) style columns with a row of palm leaves and acanthus leaves below
transom light ... Side lights
The entirety of Chapin Parkway, part of Olmsted’s Buffalo parks and parkways system, falls in the Elmwood Historic District (East), running from Soldiers Place to Gates Circle.
It is 200 feet wide with a wide median/park with regularly planted trees running down the center, cast iron decorative luminaires on poles with Art Nouveau flourishes and glass globes, and sandstone curbs.
The majority of the grand, eclectically styled homes on Chapin Parkway were built in the first quarter of the twentieth century.
A trace of the former equestrian trail exists on the centerline of Chapin Parkway, recalling the multi-modal character of Olmsted’s parkway vision.
41 Chapin Parkwayca. 1919
2 1⁄2-story side gable Flemish bond brick residence with Colonial Revival styling; poured concrete foundation, slate roof.
Features central portico with stylized Corinthian columns, wood door sidelights and transom above. Windows typically 8/8 and 8/12 wood sash double hung with stone sills and keystones. Slate sided gable dormers.
Features two-story flat roof wing. Contains contributing brick secondary building (garage).