Richmond-Lockwood House - Table of Contents
The Richmond-Lockwood House
844 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, N.Y.
844 Delaware originally encompassed the land all the way through to Richmond Avenue
(in Delaware Preservation District)
Present Owner: Child and Family Services
|English Tudor Revival manor house|
Exterior Building Materials
|Clapboard, brick, stucco|
Thomas Brown Lockwood
1873: Jewett M. Richmond bought the property which extended back to Richmond Ave., which was given its present name in 1879 in honor of him.
1887 Original Richmond house was burned to the ground (see drawing)
1888 This house was built
1918 Thomas B. Lockwood bought and remodeled the mansion.
1950: Lockwood's widow (Thomas died in 1947) remained in the house until 1950 when she sold it the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo for $52,000. The home was converted to the Mother of Mary Retreat House.
1952 House used as an annex for Bishop McMahon High School
1969: The house was converted again, this time as preparatory Seminary for Boys.
2002: Present Owner: Child and Family Services
|DEMOLITION ATTEMPT||In the 1970's, IBM attempted to demolish this building and its neighbors at #824 and #830|
- Moon, James C., ed. "A History of the City of Buffalo and Niagara Falls," Buffalo: The Times, 1896
- Preservation Coalition of Erie County files
- Buffalo Evening News 12/29/49, 2/16/50
- Courier Express 6/1/52
- Pupils Now Use Old Richmond Mansion, by H. Katherine Smith, pub. in The Buffalo News, June 1, 1952
- Delaware Avenue Historic District : 1974 Nomination for the National Register of Historic Places