The Larkin Building,
Buffalo, NY: History of the Demolition
by Jerome Puma
Note: Footnotes have not been included because plagiarism is a problem.
The Administration Building of the Larkin
Company of Buffalo, New York, designed in 1904 by Frank Lloyd
Wright and built in 1906 at 680 Seneca Street, became the focal
point of the vast Larkin industrial empire. Built during the golden age
of industry in Buffalo, the five story, dark red brick building drew
international attention for its many innovations. The circumstances
surrounding the destruction of this architectural marvel have never been adequately
documented and explained.
The Larkin Company was founded in Buffalo in 1875 by John D. Larkin as
a small soap manufacturing company. By the early years of the twentieth
century, the Company had reached the most prosperous era of Its
existence, and was manufacturing soap, household goods, furniture,
food, drugs, paint; in sho rt, almost everything. Serving as a
mail-order supplier to the entire United States, and operating numerous
retail stores in the Buffalo area, it is reported that money poured
into the Larkin Company offices at such a tremendous rate that it was
removed from the envelopes and deposited into baskets and barrels,
filling them rapidly.
Money was certainly not in short supply when the officers of the Larkin
Company commissioned Frank
Lloyd Wright to design their office building across the
street from the main factory. In fact, a $4,000,000 price tag did not
discourage approval of the project. At the time of demolition (1950) it
was estimated that replacement cost would be between seven and ten
The building was constructed of dark red brick, utilizing pink tinted
mortar. Five stories high, the main building was attached to an annex
of approximately three stories. The entire roof was paved with brick
and served as a recreation area for the building's employees, their
families and guests
The entrances of the building were flanked by two waterfall-like
fountains. Above the fountains were bas-reliefs by Richard W Bock, who
also designed the globes on the tops of the central exterior piers of
the building. These globes were removed by 1941 due to structural
problems associated with their weight, and where they are now, if
indeed they still exist, is not known .
The interior consisted of a
five-story central court or nave, surrounded by balconies. The upper
level contained a kitchen, bakery , dining rooms, classrooms, a branch
of the Buffalo Public Library, restrooms, a roof garden, and a
The interior walls of the building were made of semi-vitreous, hard,
cream-colored brick. Natural and artificial light was provided by
Wright-designed hermetically sealed double-paned windows, as well as
Wright-designed electrical fixtures, that enabled the employees to work
in comfort at their Wright-designed metal office furniture, while
breathing air from a Wright-designed "air conditioning" system.
Wright's use of magnesite in the building's interior is interesting,
since magnesite is mainly used to line the inside of steel-making
furnaces. It is also mixed with cement to make a compound used for
In the Larkin Building, Wright
used magnesite that was mined in Greece and shipped to Buffalo.
Magnesite was used in the construction of stairs, doors, window sills,
coping, capitals, partitions, desk tops, and plumbing slabs. It was
reported that the floors of the Larkin Building were marble. In
reality, the floors consisted of a base of concrete, cushioned with a
mixture of wood fiber and magnesite, then covered with sheets of
The beginning of the end of the
Larkin Administration Building can be traced to a press release dated
October 4, 1939. In this article, J. Crate Larkin, president and
treasurer of the Larkin Company, and Adam F. Eby, general retail
manager, announced that the Larkin Retail Store, located at 701 Seneca
Street, would move across the street to the Administration Building,
because it had 25% more floor space.
These executives stated that because of the rapid elevator in the
building and the large expanse of natural lighting, their new store
would be "one of the most attractive retail establishments in this part
of the country. However, to meet this end, extensive remodeling of the
interior began. The interior court was cleared of the familiar desks
that are so ubiquitous in Larkin photographs. The floors were carpeted
and the organ console and grand piano occupied the space. The court was
lighted by newly-installed diffused, glareless floodlights placed on
the fifth floor. Also, the main floor now contained sixteen indoor
"windows" where Larkin drapes and curtains were displayed against a
pastel background that was backlighted to simulate sunlight.
Full-length mirrors were installed and walls were repainted The area
surrounding the central court was partitioned to make three model rooms
The second floor was also partitioned into three model rooms. This
floor and the third floor held merchandise. The fourth and fifth floors
remained in use as office space for the mail-order branch of the company.
Ten of the double-paned windows that faced the parking lot were
transformed into display windows. On November 20, 1939 at 10:00 am, the
Larkin Retail Store was opened by Buffalo's mayor, Thomas L. Holling,
signaling the demise of the Larkin Administration Building.
The First Sale
From the time of remodeling in
1939 until 1943, business dwindled and the Larkin Company fell further
into financial troubles. The company began to sell various
buildings on the Larkin property. So, it came as no surprise
when on May 24, 1943, it was announced that the Larkin Building was
sold for an undisclosed sum to L. B. Smith, a Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
contractor). Mr. Smith was the corporate head of a group of large
construction companies that dealt in coal strip-mining and
quarrying operations in Pennsylvania and West Virginia
At the time of sale, A. H. Miller, the comptroller of L. B.
Smith, Inc. said that the company had no definite plans for the
building. He did mention, though, that the Army had considered the possibility
of using the building to house offices of the War Department.
When business began to founder,
the Larkin Company changed its name to the Larkin Store Corporation.
When L. B. Smith bought the building, the Larkin Store corporation had
nine months remaining in its lease of the building. When the lease ran
out, L. B. Smith took no further action, abandoning the building until
it was taken over in a tax foreclosure of $104,616 by the City of
Buffalo on June 15, 1945.
The next time the Larkin Building appeared in the news was on November
I, 1946, The city had owned the building for over a year with only one
offer of $26,000 from an unknown prospect interested in its purchase.
Comptroller George W Wanamaker stated that the offer was too small and
reminded potential buyers that the building was assessed at $240,000
(Footnote 16). In an attempt to lure prospective buyers, the city spent
$6,000 in a national advertising campaign, With ads appearing in the
Courier-Express, Buffalo Evening News, Wall Street Journal, New York
Times, Chicago Journal of Commerce and other publications.
On November 20,1946, William E. Robertson, president of the United
Taxpayers League in Buffalo endorsed the ad campaign (Footnote 18). But
the Common Council tabled the ad plan for two weeks. During this time,
the council asked commissioner of Public Works Elvin G. Speyer to
report on the feasibility of transforming the Larkin Building into a
housing project. This idea was quickly termed improbable.
Finally in January , 1947, the ads began to appear. By March 29, 1947,
the city had received no offers for the structure. Officials blamed the
disinterest on the small amount of floor space in the building. The
assessment value had dropped to $224,000 and officials were showing
signs of panic. Comptroller Wanamaker sent a letter to State Selective
Service officials and asked them to consider storing state records in
the Larkin Building, but they refused.
On May 7, 1947, the Council accepted a $500 offer for a 90-day option
to purchase the building for $25,000. The offer was made by attorney
Maurice Yellen for an undisclosed client. At this date, the building's
assessment had fallen to $221,810.
Two months later, on July 7, Mayor Bernard J. Dowd suggested that the
the County take over the Larkin Building, widely referred to as a
"white elephant," for office space. Chairman Roy R. Brockett of the
Board of Supervisors named a committee of five to study the possibility
of conversion. It was thought that the county would occupy the building
before summer's end, but the idea never materialized.
By October 1947, the building was virtually useless Every double-paned
window was broken, the iron gate had fallen off its rusted hinges. and
the iron fence surrounding the building was sacrificed for a wartime
By this time, the state had rejected an offer to use the Larkin
Building for emergency housing. Predictably, the county of Erie took no
action to convert the building for use as its Welfare Department.
Another $500 offer for a 90-day purchase option of $26,000 was proposed
by Sigmund J. Guefa, a local realtor, on behalf of another undisclosed
client on June 1, 1948. The Common Council refused to accept the option
because they felt it would force the city to sell the building for
$26,000, a small figure in their estimation.
To cite an example of the Common Council's ineptitude. just 20 days
later, on June 21,1948. the Council accepted another $500, 90-day
purchase option by Chester, Inc., another local realtor, on behalf of
yet another undisclosed client. Like all the others, this option fell
Four months later, on October 1, 1948, another $500, 90-day option fell
through. This time, Magnus P. Benzing, general manager of the Magnus
Beck Brewing Company, 461 North Division St. had offered to buy the
Larkin Building for $26,000, that familiar figure Unfortunately, at the
end of 90 days. he had changed his mind.
By April 16, 1949, city officials were considering the building's
possible use as a recreation center. Ellicott District Councilman
Joseph F. Dudzick submitted a resolution to the Council which would
allow the Capital Expenditures Committee to take over the building for
conversion to basketball and tennis courts and gymnasium facilities;
is no wisdom in allowing the building to deteriorate further until it
becomes a pile of crumbling brick, especially when it can be put to
good use in building the bodies, minds and character of the city's
Despite this plea,
the resolution was defeated. Another suggestion by Ralph A. Coppola to
transform the building into a Buffalo Conservatory of Music was also
The Second Sale
Four months later, on August 20,
1949, with an assessment value of $128,960, another offer to purchase
the Larkin Building was disclosed by the Hunt Business Agency for an
undisclosed client. The client planned to purchase the building for
$5,000, demolish it, and construct a "taxable improvement" costing "not
less than 100,000" within the next year and a half.
On September 13, 1949, the Council approved the $5000 offer without
even finding out with whom they were dealing. On October 8, 1949 it was
revealed hat the buyer was The Western Trading Corporation, 1100 Main
Street, Buffalo. The corporation estimated that it would cost $100,000
to demolish the building. It was noted that everything removable had
been stripped by vandals, including twenty tons of copper, light
fixtures, door knobs, plumbing, and even the boards used to keep the
vandals out. Also, it was estimated that it would cost $8000 to replace
the windows). Final sale was made on November 15,1949.
Even though the Larkin Building was vacant for seven years, public
outcry began only after demolition announcements were made. On November
16, 1949, architect J. Stanley Sharp stated in the New York
an architect, I share the concern of many others over the destruction
of Frank Lloyd Wright's world-famous office building in Buffalo. it is
not merely a a matter of sentiment; from a practical standpoint this
structure can function efficiently for centuries. modern engineering
has improved upon the lighting and ventilation systems Mr. Wright
but that is hardly excuse enough to efface the work of the man who
successfully pioneered in the solving of such problems. The Larkin
Building set a precedent for many an office building we admire today
and should be regarded not as an outmoded utilitarian structure but as
a monument, if not to Mr. Wright's creative imagination, to the
inventiveness of American design.
Demolition of the Larkin
Administration Building by the Morris and Reimann wrecking contractors
of Buffalo began in late February 1950 and was completed in July 1950.
The inordinately long period of time for demolition was due to the fact
that the building was "built to last forever." The floors of each story
were made of ten-inch thick reinforced concrete in slabs seventeen feet
wide and thirty-four feet long. The floors were supported by
twenty-four inch steel beams, which are now shoring up coal mines in
West Virginia, and the bricks and stone were used to fill the Ohio
The Empty Site
One year after demolition, in May 1951, the Western Trading
Company announced pans to build a truck terminal on the site. The
building's plans, drawn by I. A. Germoney, called for an L-shaped
building with frontage of 280 feet on Seneca St. and extending 280 feet
to Swan St., where the frontage would be 50 feet. A 50 feet by 70 feet
section would contain two stories, the upper story containing offices.
The company filed with the National Production Authority for permission
to build the terminal at a cost of $150,000 to $200,000.
On November 24, 1951, the Western Trading Company petitioned the Common
Council to allow them to change the site of their proposed truck
terminal from the Larkin site to a lot at Elk and Dole Streets, because
"it was less crowded" They also stated that if they did build on the
Larkin site, a valuable parking lot for the customers and employees of
the Larkin Terminal Warehouse would be lost. Three days later, the
Common Council agreed to ease the pact; thus a parking lot now stands
on the site of Frank Lloyd Wright's greatest contribution to Buffalo,
the Larkin Administration Building.
Today, the Larkin Company is gone,
as well as the Administration Building. Memories barely survive of the
once-grand building and the business empire. The last time anyone
publicly discussed the Administration Building was in the Courier-Express
on December 22, 1965.
The loss of the Larkin Building was a tragic one for Buffalo and the
entire world. In presenting the facts concerning its demise, it is
hoped that in the future we will study the value of a structure and
avoid the destruction of mile-stone
© 1978 Jerome Puma