Charles W. Goodyear House - Table of Contents

Charles W. Goodyear House - History
888 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, New York

TEXT Beneath Illustrations



Click on photos to enlarge

Charles W. Goodyear.

Charles W. Goodyear.

The Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Co.

Goodyear memorial at Forest Lawn Cemetery

Goodyear memorial: Charles

Goodyear memorial: wife Ella

Charles' brother and partner, Frank

E. B. Green, architect


Completed:

1903. Cost: $225,000

Architect:

Green & Wicks

Style:

French Renaissance. An excellent example of French Chateauesque.

Original Owner:

Charles Waterhouse Goodyear was born in Cortland, Cortland County, New York, October 15, 1846, the son of Doctor Bradley Goodyear and Esther P. Kinne. He received his school training in the academies of Cortland, Wyoming, and East Aurora, New York, finishing his school days in 1867.

Goodyear the Attorney

In 1868 he came to Buffalo to study law in the offices of Laning & Miller, later continuing his professional preparation with John C. Strong. He was admitted to the bar in 1871, and immediately began his practice in this city.

This individual practice continued until 1875 and was marked by much success. In that year Mr. Goodyear formed a partnership with Major John Tyler, which continued for two years. From 1877 until 1882 Mr. Goodyear again practiced alone, and in February of that year formed a partnership with Henry F. Allen under the firm name Goodyear & Allen.

In 1883 Grover Cleveland, becoming governor of New York State, retired from the law firm of Cleveland, Bissell, and Sicard, and Mr. Goodyear joined that firm. Thereafter, for four years, the firm of Bissell, Sicard & Goodyear, was one of the most distinguished legal firms in western New York.

Goodyear the Politician

From January 1st, 1875, until October 1st, 1877, Mr. Goodyear served as Assistant District Attorney under District Attorney Daniel N. Lockwood, who was elected to Congress in 1876 and who resigned the office of District Attorney in the autumn of 1877, whereupon Mr. Goodyear was appointed by Governor Robinson to fill the unexpired term.

Goodyear the Lumber Baron

In January, 1887, Mr. Goodyear gave up the practice of law to form, with his brother, Frank H. Goodyear, the lumber company and kindred organizations that became quite prominent in the business world. The firm name became F. H. & C. W. Goodyear, and almost immediately their operations became so extensive that it was necessary for both to give their undivided attention to them. They were pioneers in the construction of standard built and equipped railroads for logging operations, penetrating the timber tracts of Pennsylvania, which had, up until that time, been considered well-nigh inaccessible to railroads. The annual output of their holdings amounted to 200,000,000 feet of hemlock (they were the world's largest manufacturers of hemlock) and nearly as much in hardwood, which was shipped over their own railroad, the The Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Co.. The line became a permanent freight and passenger line, with three hundred and fifty miles of first-class standard-gauge track and roadbed.

Mr. Goodyear held office of trustee of the Buffalo Normal School, was organizing director of the Pan American Exposition and president of the Buffalo Club. Among his close friends were President Grover Cleveland, as well as Cleveland's Secretary of State Daniel S. Lamont. He was largely responsible for the nomination of Grover Cleveland for Governor of New York. He and his wife were the first guests of President Cleveland and his new bride at the White House.

Charles Goodyear died in 1911.

In 1876, he married Ella Portia Conger of Collins Center, NY., who lived in the house until her death in 1940. For photos of Charles and his wife, see Bogalusa Story

Subsequent Owners:

Shortly after Mrs. Goodyear's death, the mansion was sold to the Blue Cross Corp., which made slight alterations. For a newspaper account of transition from private home to office building, see Alterations to be few; Panels kept.

The company occupied the mansion until its sale to the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo in 1950 for $85,000 for the Bishop McMahon High School. In 1953 and 1959, additions to the mansion were built. See Girls Study in a Home Royalty Visited

Present Owner: Robert B. Adam Education Center: The Children's Hospital

Also on the property (not photographed):

Carriage house. Power building for coal furnaces. During the winter, the house required up to 1 1/2 tons of coal per day for heat. Power plant connected to the house by a 4' wide tunnel.


Sources of information:


Photos and their arrangement © 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.