From Masten Park High School to City Honors - Table of Contents

The 1914 Building - Interior

From Masten Park to City Honors:
The 1914 Building - Exterior




Esenwein & Johnson

Architectural Style:

Beaux Arts Italian Renaissance. The school building is a three-story, fifteen bay structure.


The school occupies an entire city block: Best Street on the north — North Street on the south — Masten Avenue on the east — Fosdick Street on the west.

Building Material:

Brick, terra cotta

Structural System:

Steel frame; terra cotta exterior


Listed in the National Register of Historic Places as Fosdick-Masten Park High School (1983)

The new building opened Sept. 8, 1914, and one reason it was completed so fast was that the Buffalo Board of Education simply adapted the plans already drawn up for Lafayette High, which was new at the time. The exterior surfaces and the shape of the central towers are different, but otherwise the two high schools are much the same. The new building cost $500,000.

Click on photos for larger size-- and more information

1914 Building. Photo taken from Masten and North Sts.

Postcard showing 1897 and 1914 buildings.

The Fosdick-Masten neighborhood and the present building before the tower over the front entrance was removed in 1927.

National register plaque.
The Buffalo firm of
Esenwein & Johnson also designed Lafayette High School

City seal

Terra cotta brick from dismantled tower. (Original in school museum)

Front entrance on Fosdick St.

Side (North St.) entrance

Reproduction lantern on either side of entrance doors

White, glazed terra cotta egg-and-dart molding


White, glazed terra cotta stylized capital

White, glazed terra cotta stylized triglyphs

Copper modillions under cornice

Copper modillions under cornice
...... White, glazed terra cotta egg-and-dart molding

White, glazed terra cotta stylized triglyphs

White glazed terra cotta facade


Masten St. side

Inner courtyard - north

Inner courtyard - south - showing cafeteria skylights

Pilgrim Village


Pilgrim Village

Ca. 1915 photo that shows the tower that was taken down in 1927.

Postcard showing 1897 and 1914 buildings


This page was created by the City Honors School Webmasters class under the supervision of Chuck LaChiusa
Color photos and their arrangement © 2005 Chuck LaChiusa

...| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index...| .. E-Mail ...| .

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.