Colonial Circle - Table of Contents

Emily H. Swift House
21 Colonial Circle, Buffalo, NY

Permit filed:

1908

Architect:

Esenwein & Johnson

Style:

Arts & Crafts

Owners:

  • 1908-1940 Emily H. Swift
  • 1940-1959 Descendants of Mrs. Swift
  • 1959-2006 St. John's Grace Rectory
  • 2006-present Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Schenk
Street history:
After petitions by home owners, Bidwell Place was renamed Colonial Circle in 1909 by the Parks Commission. (Research by Central Library staff)

James Napora, History of Richmond/Elmwood Area

Elmwood West Historic District Nomination

Grant-Ferry-Forest Survey

Photographs taken:

March 2007

Companion page: Interior Photographs



Click on illustrations for larger size -- and additional information

The south side of Colonial Circle


  • Hipped roofs
  • Painted wooden shingles

Prominent overhanging eaves supported by large brackets

 

 

 


Roman Corinthian column:

Arts & Crafts style pierced balusters

St. John's Grace Episcopal Church

St. John's Grace Episcopal Church

Neighboring house features Classical balustrades, ribbon swags on the frieze, and Ionic columns

Lafayette High School


Gen. Daniel Bidwell statue

Gen. Daniel Bidwell statue


Emily Swift was the wife of Albert E. Swift who was a local entrepreneur. He was best known for the Johnstown Flood midway which he organized for the 1901 Pan Am. He died shortly thereafter.

The house passed to Ethel Swift and her husband Sherwood C. Moss. Sherwood was one of the principals in The Moss-Chase Co. which did all of the advertising work for the Larkin Soap Company and The Liquid Veneer Company.

 - Scott Lamb


Photos and their arrangement 2007 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.