Linwood Avenue Table of Contents

Butler House - Table of Contents

2002 photos - Edward Butler House
429 Linwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY

Architect: J. L. Silsbee probably worked on this house

TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Click on photos for larger size -- and additional information

Edward H. Butler

The wrought iron on the porch is not original

Note the unusual open-arch chimney and oriel window

Curved Dutch gable at the center of the front (west) facade

One of a pair of dog gargoyles [grotesques] made of heavy tin

The gargoyle [grotesque] which originally sat on top of the Dutch gable now rests on a chair on a landing

Window in the front gable

Terra cotta ornamentation which has designs (strapwork) similar to those in the porte-cochere wood designs

Another distinctive, beautiful window

Driveway (north) side foundation

Stained glass

Stained glass

Stained glass


Rear and driveway side of the house with porte-cochere roof to the right

Rear of house foliated terra cotta ornamentation

Medina sandstone foundation of the porte-cochere


Eastlake style using English strapwork design in addition to spindles

Eastlake style using English strapwork design in addition to spindles

Chimney cap ... gargoyle

The Silsbee-designed Bemis House at 267 North Street. Note the similarities in design to the Linwood house.


Queen Anne


  • 2 1/2 story house

  • The curved Flemish Renaissance gable at the center of the front (west) facade

  • Almost every window is uniquely distinctive. Some of the art glass in the windows is original, some replacements

  • An unusual, open-arched chimney; soaring chimneys

  • The main window stunningly decorated with leaded glass

  • Although stunning, the wrought iron on the porch is not original

  • If the roof to the porch is original, it is likely that there were decorative wooden posts or heavily spindled posts - similar to the porte cochere posts - which supported the roof

  • Two resting, heavy tin dog gargoyles on the flanks of the Dutch gable

    There was another gargoyle like the two up there. That creature sat on the top of the Dutch gable, and must have added a more imposing look to the front (west) facade. This third gargoyle rotted at its base, in part from a bees nest which gathered in the hole at the base. The owners have this gargoyle sitting on a chair in the house (See photo above).

    An original fourth gargoyle is missing. It crouched on all fours and was placed on top of the main chimney.


This house was built for Edward H. Butler, the founder and publisher of The Buffalo Evening News.

The Butlers are listed in the City of Buffalo Directory as living here 1890-1897, at which time they moved to 522 Delaware. In 1909 their address is 672 Delaware, having purchased the George Williams House on the northwest corner of Delaware and North.

There was another owner after the Butlers, and since 1917, the Linwood house has been in the same family.


The plot of land the house is built on can be traced to Rumsey and Butler Families.

When it was built in 1885 (1886?), the house was part of the greatest building boom the city had seen. Residences were spreading out from the city's center at a rapid rate. 429 still was an easy walk, for residents much more used to walking, to downtown, and it was conveniently located near Forest Lawn cemetery and Delaware Park, the big green spaces which constituted the northern extent of Buffalo. Horse drawn trolleys were in service for those who did not wish to take their carriages downtown.


Photos and their arrangement 2002 Chuck LaChiusa
.| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..