Architecture Around the World

George Wythe House
Williamsburg, Va.
George Wythe House - Official Home Page

Style: Colonial / Georgian

TEXT Beneath Illustrations

Click on illustrations for larger size

George Wythe

Style: Colonial / Georgian






Country (?) side chairs

Braced-back, bow-back (loop--back) Windsor with turned legs

Queen Anne side chair

William and Mary gate-leg table ..... William and Mary cane chair

Queen Anne 2-piece flat-top secretary ...... Chippendale side chair

Queen Anne lowboy (?) / tavern table(?)

Perhaps the most handsome colonial house in Williamsburg, the two-story brick residence is believed to have been designed in the mid-1750s by George Wythe's father-in-law, the surveyor, builder, and planter Richard Taliaferro (pronounced "Tolliver"). Taliaferro built the addition to the Governor's Palace about the same time.

The George Wythe House on Palace Green belonged to George Wythe (pronounced "with"), a leader of the patriot movement in Virginia, a delegate to the Continental Congress, and Virginiaís first signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house also served as General George Washington's headquarters just before the British siege of Yorktown, and French General Rochambeau made the home his headquarters after victory at Yorktown. In 1776, the house accommodated Virginia General Assembly delegate Thomas Jefferson and his family.

Structural details:

Colonial Williamsburg obtained the property in 1938. The home has been furnished to look as it might have when George and Elizabeth Wythe resided in it.

- Text source: George Wythe House - Official Home Page

Photos and their arrangement © 2005 Chuck LaChiusa
| ...Home Page ...| ..Buffalo Architecture Index...| ..Buffalo History Index... .|....E-Mail ...| ..

web site consulting by ingenious, inc.