Illustrated Architecture Dictionary ......................... Illustrated FURNITURE Glossary
A decorative molding consisting of a series of bas-relief egg-shaped figures alternating with dart-shaped, anchor-shaped, or tongue-shaped figures.An Ionic capital is usually enriched with egg-and-dart.
In the egg-and-anchor, egg-and-arrow, and egg-and-tongue moldings, the arrowhead ornament is varied in form.
Some historians contend this ornamental device is supposed to represent the duality of life (the egg) and death (the arrow).
Found in classical Greek and Roman architecture and derivatives, including Beaux Arts Classicism, Federal, Georgian Revival, Greek Revival, Neoclassicism, Renaissance Revival, Second Empire
Examples from Buffalo:
- Illustration above: Grace Millard Knox House
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery - Example #1
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery - Example #2
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery - Example #3
- Schoellkopf-Vom Berge Manor
- St. John the Baptist Church
- Root Building
- Delaware Court Building
- Frederick G. Goellner Mausoleum, Forest Lawn Cemetery ........... Photo: facade
- Watson House - Buffalo Club
- Ellicott Square Building
- Red Jacket Apts.
- Buffalo Museum of Science
- Sattler Theatre
web site consulting by ingenious, inc.